Prospectus for exhibition “Irresistible Aesthetics – Beauty, Absorption, & Ideology”
A juried fiber arts exhibition of spellbinding, splendid, and sublime delights for the senses embracing the fascination of working with mesmerizing materials and hypnotic methods. Expressed as satisfyingly subtle to voraciously hedonistic, aesthetics is defined as the perception, appreciation, and creation of what is considered beautiful. Belief systems, color values, and personal philosophy are embedded into the pleasure of creating and experiencing fiber art creations. From utilitarian towels to fancy fluff, attraction and obsession fuel creators to produce exquisite works through time honored techniques and enthusiastic experimentation. Seasoned or newer creations are welcome. Open to all fiber arts media.
Entry Deadline: September 7, 2019 at 9 PM
Artwork Delivery: Before September 25, 2019
Exhibit Dates: October 1 – November 26, 2019
Opening Reception: Oct 5, 2019
First Friday Art Walk Sequim Receptions: October 4, 2019 and November 1, 2019
North Olympic Fiber Arts Festival - FiberArtsFestival.org
The "Irresistible Aesthetics – Beauty, Absorption, & Ideology" exhibition is a component of the 14th Annual North Olympic Fiber Arts Festival Oct 4 - 6, 2019 at the new Sequim Museum & Arts location at 544 N Sequim Ave, Sequim WA 98382. Many fiber arts events and exhibitions happen throughout the months of September, October, and November on the Olympic Peninsula that are partnerships with the North Olympic Fiber Arts Festival.
Please read information carefully!
If entering via a tablet or phone, Dropbox is required.
• All formats of fiber art will be considered, including wall-hung, free-standing, or pedestal mounted. Entries must be original and must not be copied, derivatives, or based on other copyrighted or published work. All skill levels welcome.
• Include the dimensions and weight of your work with each entry.
• Maximum of three art entries per artist. $15 entry fee per artist.
• Please submit each piece of artwork entry together and pay for the $15 entry fee.
• Collaborations are encouraged. (Please note these are new exhibition requirements.) A collaborative piece of art or collection of different pieces of art that are curated together are considered one of the three possible pieces of art each artist may enter. Each artist is required to enter separately to include their own artist statement along with information about the collaborative art piece, please include fellow artists' names in notes section, and pay the $15 entry fee per artist.
• Artist entry fees cover the costs to produce the fiber arts festival exhibition and marketing.
• Requirements of Artwork Images Files -Dimensions: At least, 1024 pixels horizontal or 1024 pixels vertical. File Format: JPG or PNG. File Name: JPG or PNG file names should include the Artist’s Name, Artwork Name, and correct file name extension, example: ArtistNameArtworkName.jpg
• Please include in the online entry the following information: Artist’s Name, Address, Phone number, Email, Website (optional) and Social Media Links (optional), Title, Date of work, Height, Width, Depth, Weight, Medium, wall hung or free standing, Sale price/NFS, Narrative Description of Artwork (200 characters or less. Not 200 words and characters include spaces.) and a brief Artist Statement (200 characters or less.)
• Entries will be juried from digital files.
• Work must be ready to hang and must be less than 60 inches x 60 inches. This limit is based on the wall sizes at the museum. There are some size exceptions for wearable art and outstanding works.
• Ready to hang requirements: Quilts are required to have hanging sleeves and poles. Wall hung works are required to have wires or means to attach art to one single wall hook. Hanging work may not exceed 50 pounds. Freestanding work that exceeds 50 pounds must be delivered and installed by the artist. Providing your own means to display wearable art is highly encouraged.
• Work with glass or ceramics must be hand delivered. Work with plexiglass may be shipped.
• Sequim Museum & Arts reserves the right to refuse any work that does not match the sent JPG / PNG image. The NOFAF Director may remove pieces that do not fit the Sequim Museum and Arts Exhibit Policy, or that are not up to the hanging standards provided in this document.
• A notification letter will be emailed to all.
• Works can be hand delivered or shipped. Delivery and shipping instructions will be emailed with the notification.
• Artists are responsible for all shipping and handling costs to and from the exhibition.
• Each shipped entry must be packaged in a reusable container for the return of work.
• Shipped entries must have pre-paid return shipping labels included. UPS or USPS return shipping preferred.
• Unsold shipped entries will be returned at the close of exhibit.
Liability, Sales, and Promotion
• Every reasonable precaution will be taken during the receiving, installation, exhibition, and return of work, but no representative of the Sequim Museum & Arts will assume responsibility for loss or damage incurred. Artists should carry their own insurance. Work should not be so fragile that shipment or public display is potentially harmful to the work or the viewer.
• Artists may not substitute another work for an accepted work, alter the work or the sales price, nor withdraw the work after it has been accepted.
• Unless specified NFS, it is assumed that all work is for sale. The Sequim Museum & Arts receives a 30% commission of the sale price.
• Sequim Museum & Arts reserves the right to photograph entries for the purposes of documentation, education and publicity.
• Artists are encouraged to attend receptions and be part of the festival.
• Exhibition artists are exclusively invited to participate in public fiber arts market sales events during the festival fall months, like our Small Business Saturday Sale in November.
North Olympic Fiber Arts Festival Director, Exhibition Juror, and Curator
Renne Emiko Brock – Award winning artist, educator, and Arts advocate promoting the importance of creative education and community participation in the arts and sciences that are active and inclusive. Owner of unique as you and Peninsula College faculty.
Inquires or questions, please contact Renne at email@example.com
Communication about the fiber arts exhibition will come from either firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com